Topic: NyaN fractions and partitioning of Naturals into other NyaN bases
then ternary.

Replies: 13   Last Post: Mar 16, 2013 5:36 AM

Virgil

Re: NyaN fractions and partitioning of Naturals into other NyaN bases then ternary.

In article <0M6dnUGx2aXpndnMnZ2dnUVZ_oGdnZ2d@giganews.com>,
fom <fomJUNK@nyms.net> wrote:

> On 3/15/2013 12:39 PM, FredJeffries wrote:
> > On Mar 15, 9:27 am, JT <jonas.thornv...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Another thing i always wondered why is radians used and not fractions
> >> to describe angles, i mean the unit circle has one turn?

> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rational_trigonometry
> >

> What is the linear measure of the locus comprising "one turn"?
>
> What fraction of "one turn" is a semicircle?
>
> What is the length of the chord associated with a semicircle?
>
> As for fractions, what was the earliest estimate for pi?
>
> (hint: pi=3)
>
> As for fractions, what numerical base did those early
> mathematical pioneers use for counting?
>
> (hint: 60)
>
> So, who is to blame for the stupid mathematics (pi=/=3)
> that the stupid mathematicians keep pushing on practical
> people?
>
> (I don't know. But legend has it that the Pythagoreans
> threw him over the side of a boat at sea.)

I thought that fatal dunking was for showing the irrationality of the
square root of 2.