Topic: Stone Cech
Replies: 49   Last Post: Mar 28, 2013 12:15 PM

William Elliot

Re: Stone Cech

On Fri, 15 Mar 2013, David C. Ullrich wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Mar 2013 19:49:08 -0700, William Elliot <marsh@panix.com>
> wrote:
>

> >Let (g,Y) be a Cech Stone compactification of S.
> >If (f,X) is a compactification of S, does X embed in Y?

> Isn't this clear from the universal property of the S-C
> compactification?

No. All I get is that there's a closed continuous surjection h
from Y onto X for which h|g(S) is injective.

> >If (g,Y) is a compactification of S and
> >for all compactifications (f,X), X embeds in Y
> >is (g,Y) a Stone Cech compactification of S?

> My guess is that there is a counterexample to exactly what you wrote
> here. The universal property of bS says that any map from S to a compact
> space lifts _uniquely_ to a map from bS to the same space. If you add
> the same uniqueness bit to your hypotheses on (g,Y) then surely the
> answer is yes; consider the case where (f,X) is the S-C
> compactifiication to get started.

I didn't find any elevator nor even an esclator.
Are their stairs anywhere?

What's is apparent that if h,k in C(Y,X) and
f = hg, f = kg, then h = k.

> >Why in the heck is a compactification an embedding
> >function and a compact space? Wouldn't be simpler
> >to define a compactification of a space S, as a
> >compact space into which S densely embeds?

> No. For the same reasons as the last time you asked. Or consider this:
> Part of the definition of the S-C compactification is the _uniqueness_
> of the lift of a map from S to any compact space. Let's say the notion
> you're considering is a WEification. A WEification could correspond to
> two different compactifications in the usual sense; now the uniqueness
> of the lift can't even be defined, much less asserted.

For latter consideration.

Perhaps you could illustrate with the five different
one to four point point compactifications of two open
end line segements.

Date Subject Author
3/14/13
Read Stone Cech