Topic: Maths pedagaogy
Replies: 57   Last Post: Mar 21, 2013 9:47 PM

Frederick Williams

Re: Maths pedagaogy

"Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz" wrote:

> In <ki4jfg$efu$1@news.cc.tut.fi>, on 03/17/2013
> at 04:21 PM, Kaba <kaba@nowhere.com> said:
>

> >Related, there is this effect which I call the Stockholm Syndrome
> >for Mathematicians :) This happens when people read a book which
> >leave large gaps in their proofs, and force the reader to fill
> >them.

> That's not Stockholm Syndrome; that's teaching. Learning Mathematics
> is not memorizing proofs.

In defence of Kaba: he did write "... effect which I call the Stockholm
Syndrome for Mathematicians". If he does so (even if it's only in that
post), disagreement would seem to be nugatory.

Date Subject Author
3/17/13
Read Maths pedagaogy
Paul