Topic: Swap lowercase and uppercase letters
Replies: 2   Last Post: Mar 20, 2013 4:22 AM

szhorvat@gmail.com

Re: Swap lowercase and uppercase letters

On Monday, 18 March 2013 05:34:45 UTC-4, Bill wrote:
> Hi:
>

> I have the following example: "hELLO THERE!"
>

> Using Mathematica 8.0.4, how can I swap the lowercase and uppercase letters to output,
>

> "Hello there!"

This is a reliable method that will work with scripts other than Roman (such as Greek or Cyrillic) and will also work with many accented letter:

StringJoin@
Replace[Characters["hELLO THERE!"], {c_?LowerCaseQ :> ToUpperCase[c],
c_?UpperCaseQ :> ToLowerCase[c]}, {1}]

Simply replacing A, B, ..., Z with a, b, ..., z is not a good option because it won't handle accented letters (unless you include those as well, which is a lot of work)