Topic: Maths pedagaogy
Replies: 57   Last Post: Mar 21, 2013 9:47 PM

David C. Ullrich

Re: Maths pedagaogy

On Tue, 19 Mar 2013 08:38:20 -0700 (PDT), pepstein5@gmail.com wrote:

>On Tuesday, March 19, 2013 3:26:49 PM UTC, Frederick Williams wrote:
>> quasi wrote:
>>

>> > Yes, but the best teachers and authors have mastered the art of
>>
>> > judging how their presentation would be seen from the point of
>>
>> > view of the prospective student.
>>

>> While the lecturer knows to whom he is lecturing, the author of a book
>>
>> doesn't necessarily know who will read it.
>>

>This seems exactly the wrong way round. A good maths book will specify exactly what the readership is expected to know -- "prerequisites" in other words.
>On the other hand, the abilities and knowledge bases of a graduate and undergraduate class can vary enormously, and it is difficult (but not impossible) to find out what they know.

??? There are _official_ prerequisites for a class. A student is not
_allowed_ to take this class without having passed those other
classes. All the author of a book can do is explain what audience
he had in mind - he has no control over who actually reads the book.

What's difficult about finding out what the students know?
After the first quiz in differential equations I can tell you
which ones know enough calculus.

Your, erm, experience must be vastly different from mine;
in particular the rules and regulations at the place where
you teach must be very different.

"exactly the wrong way round" indeed.

>Paul Epstein

Date Subject Author