Topic: Maths pedagaogy
Replies: 57   Last Post: Mar 21, 2013 9:47 PM

Frederick Williams

Re: Maths pedagaogy

"David C. Ullrich" wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Mar 2013 08:38:20 -0700 (PDT), pepstein5@gmail.com wrote:

> >> While the lecturer knows to whom he is lecturing, the author of a book
> >>
> >> doesn't necessarily know who will read it.
> >>

> >This seems exactly the wrong way round. A good maths book will specify exactly what the readership is expected to know -- "prerequisites" in other words.
> >On the other hand, the abilities and knowledge bases of a graduate and undergraduate class can vary enormously, and it is difficult (but not impossible) to find out what they know.

> ??? There are _official_ prerequisites for a class. A student is not
> _allowed_ to take this class without having passed those other
> classes. All the author of a book can do is explain what audience
> he had in mind - he has no control over who actually reads the book.

That's what I was thinking. When I was a student prerequisites were not
(or not always) carved in stone: a lecturer might say 'course XYZ is a
prerequisite unless you are willing to do a lot of work reading up on
ABC during the first week.' But the effect was similar.

Also, with a book, if the reader finds himself out of his depth after
the first two chapters, he can put it down, read something of a more
introductory nature and then pick it up again. One can't do that with a
lecture course.

Date Subject Author
3/17/13
Read Maths pedagaogy