Topic: Maths pedagaogy
Replies: 57   Last Post: Mar 21, 2013 9:47 PM

fom

Re: Maths pedagaogy

On 3/19/2013 4:57 PM, David C. Ullrich wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Mar 2013 08:38:20 -0700 (PDT), pepstein5@gmail.com wrote:

>>> While the lecturer knows to whom he is lecturing, the author of a book
>>>
>>> doesn't necessarily know who will read it.
>>>

>> This seems exactly the wrong way round. A good maths book will specify exactly what the readership is expected to know -- "prerequisites" in other words.
>> On the other hand, the abilities and knowledge bases of a graduate and undergraduate class can vary enormously, and it is difficult (but not impossible) to find out what they know.

> ??? There are _official_ prerequisites for a class. A student is not
> _allowed_ to take this class without having passed those other
> classes. All the author of a book can do is explain what audience
> he had in mind - he has no control over who actually reads the book.
>
> What's difficult about finding out what the students know?
> After the first quiz in differential equations I can tell you
> which ones know enough calculus.
>
> Your, erm, experience must be vastly different from mine;
> in particular the rules and regulations at the place where
> you teach must be very different.
>
> "exactly the wrong way round" indeed.

Some, like myself, study outside of the guidance
of curriculum committees and without the help
of instructors.

I visit used book stores seeking books I can
afford -- some beyond my skill level.

I work at understanding what I can. I look
for books that fill gaps when I have purchased
beyond my abilities.

So, I do appreciate when an author makes a
plain statement of prerequisites.

Even so, any book is better than no book
when one is interested.

Date Subject Author
3/17/13
Read Maths pedagaogy