Topic: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
Replies: 77   Last Post: Mar 19, 2013 11:02 PM

fom

Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?

On 3/19/2013 3:50 PM, WM wrote:
> On 19 Mrz., 15:48, fom <fomJ...@nyms.net> wrote:

>>> If 5 and 6 are given, mathematics defines how to produce 11.
>>
>> Who gave you 5 and 6?

> My father or mother, I think. But why is that important?

How tall are they?

Are they slim or fat?

Can you send me a picture of them swimming at the beach?

Or, are they abstract objects whose only standing in
the grammar of natural language is as a name.

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/names/

And, presuming you cannot demonstrate their material
existence, their only reasonable admission into objective
linguistic analysis related to semantic theory is as
"descriptively-defined names". In turn, that may or may not
force a semantic interpretation in relation to strong
Kleene truth. That consideration follows because of
the admission of forcing models in set theory and
the notion of "truth persistence under forcing".

An article on descriptively defined names:

http://peer.ccsd.cnrs.fr/docs/00/56/67/32/PDF/PEER_stage2_10.1007%252Fs10988-010-9066-1.pdf

An article on the nature of presupposition associated
with many grammatical elements, including both names
and descriptions:

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/presupposition/

A book discussing the use of strong Kleene truth
with regard to partial systems

http://books.google.com/books?id=AOGpRxZyfFYC&pg=PA43&lpg=PA43&dq=truth+persistence&source=bl&ots=DQ5YDVLvbR&sig=O42ZBaI_H1pxsc640_83EVE-KDk&hl=en&sa=X&ei=4RdIUZLuK-rY2AXL9IDwAg&ved=0CFUQ6AEwBjgK

And, you thought that because mom and dad gave
you a set of crayons that they knew everything.

Parents do what they can as best as they can.

You should respect what they did for you and
leave them out of these discussions.

Date Subject Author
3/14/13
Read Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
David Petry
3/14/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
fom
3/14/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
David Petry
3/14/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
fom
3/14/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
David Petry
3/14/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
fom
3/17/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
3/17/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
ross.finlayson@gmail.com
3/18/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
fom
3/18/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
3/19/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
fom
3/14/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
Virgil
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
[...]
harold james
3/14/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
Virgil
3/14/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
fom
3/14/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
3/14/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
Virgil
3/14/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
fom
3/14/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
Jesse F. Hughes
3/14/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
fom
3/14/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
3/14/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
fom
3/14/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
David Petry
3/15/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
3/15/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
Virgil
3/15/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
3/15/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
Virgil
3/15/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
fom
3/16/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
3/16/13
Read Re: Cantor's absurdity, once again, why not?
FredJeffries@gmail.com
3/16/13
[...]
Read Re: WM's absurdity, once again, why not?
Virgil
3/17/13