Topic: Mathworks final decision on Mac OS X?
Replies: 12   Last Post: May 30, 2001 9:20 AM

Per Persson

Re: X-windows source recompile for Mac OS X?

in satterth-9D6814.15261924052001@darkstar.ucsc.edu,
satterth@darwin.ucsc.edu wrote:

> In article <9ej8sa$k5f$1@news.duke.edu>,
> "Surajit Nundy" <sn10@duke.edu> wrote:
>

>> I just compiled (and am running) enlightenment, the GIMP, XFree86 with gcc
>> on Mac OS X with no problems at all.
>> If this is possible, could someone enlighten me on why it is not possible
>> for the Mathworks to compile an X-windows version of this application for OS
>> X?
>> Thanks,
>> Surajit Nundy
>>

> Have you tried compiling Octave? It's been a bit tricky from what I
> hear.
>
> That said, I would gladly pay for the Mac OSX version of Matlab if it
> ever became available. But with only a frozen Classic Mac OS version
> available I'll hold out for Octave and live with its limitations.

Well, octave doesn't compile due to a known bug (which will be fixed, sooner
or later) in Apples shipping compiler, but e.g. Scilab compiles an runs
nicely under OS X. The problem with octave is _not_ the math libraries, but
the c++-templates...

/Per

PS. See http://homepage.mac.com/persquare for info on how to run Scilab on
OSX.