The Math Forum

Topic: Mathworks final decision on Mac OS X?
Replies: 12   Last Post: May 30, 2001 9:20 AM

Tom Davis

Re: X-windows source recompile for Mac OS X?

In article <9ej8sa$k5f$1@news.duke.edu>, "Surajit Nundy" <sn10@duke.edu> wrote:

> I just compiled (and am running) enlightenment, the GIMP, XFree86 with gcc
> on Mac OS X with no problems at all.
> If this is possible, could someone enlighten me on why it is not possible
> for the Mathworks to compile an X-windows version of this application for OS
> X?
> Thanks,
> Surajit Nundy

I compiled Scilab using XFree86 and boy is it ugly. It's a good deal worse
looking than SunOS was in the mid 90s. I guess Aqua has me spoiled.
Anybody know if there are plans to improve the look of the windowing
system that XFree86 uses.

From what I've seen so far, I think TMW would be making a mistake to port
to OS X using X-windows. Cocoa is so much better and evidently easy to
write. Coding the command and editor windows should be a piece of cake.
Drawing to a figure window may be the biggest challenge. Mabe if we all
pitched in and bought TMW the new O'Reilly book "Learning Cocoa" ...

I also downloaded SysQuake 2 LE from www.calerga.com. It runs under OS X,
9 and Windows. It's very fast but a little buggy yet. The language is a
hybrid of MATLAB 4 and 5 with most of the good features of 5 except for
handle graphics and OO. Definitely worth a look.

Tom