Topic: Mathworks final decision on Mac OS X?
Replies: 12   Last Post: May 30, 2001 9:20 AM

Joseph C. Slater

Re: X-windows source recompile for Mac OS X?

In article <tomldavis-2805012049300001@c190355-a.croltn1.tx.home.com>,
tomldavis@home.com (Tom L. Davis) wrote:

> In article <9ej8sa$k5f$1@news.duke.edu>, "Surajit Nundy" <sn10@duke.edu>
> wrote:
>

> > I just compiled (and am running) enlightenment, the GIMP, XFree86 with gcc
> > on Mac OS X with no problems at all.
> > If this is possible, could someone enlighten me on why it is not possible
> > for the Mathworks to compile an X-windows version of this application for
> > OS
> > X?
> > Thanks,
> > Surajit Nundy

> I compiled Scilab using XFree86 and boy is it ugly. It's a good deal worse
> looking than SunOS was in the mid 90s. I guess Aqua has me spoiled.
> Anybody know if there are plans to improve the look of the windowing
> system that XFree86 uses.
>
> From what I've seen so far, I think TMW would be making a mistake to port
> to OS X using X-windows. Cocoa is so much better and evidently easy to
> write. Coding the command and editor windows should be a piece of cake.
> Drawing to a figure window may be the biggest challenge. Mabe if we all
> pitched in and bought TMW the new O'Reilly book "Learning Cocoa" ...
>

> I also downloaded SysQuake 2 LE from www.calerga.com. It runs under OS X,
> 9 and Windows. It's very fast but a little buggy yet. The language is a
> hybrid of MATLAB 4 and 5 with most of the good features of 5 except for
> handle graphics and OO. Definitely worth a look.
>
> Tom

Have you installed lesstif (spelling could be wrong)? It's the free
motif. It will make xfree86 look a whole lot better. Matlab in that
environment wouldn't be bad at all.

JS