Topic: Maths pedagaogy
Replies: 57   Last Post: Mar 21, 2013 9:47 PM

fom

Re: Maths pedagaogy

On 3/20/2013 8:55 AM, David C. Ullrich wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Mar 2013 19:17:03 -0500, fom <fomJUNK@nyms.net> wrote:

>>> ??? There are _official_ prerequisites for a class. A student is not
>>> _allowed_ to take this class without having passed those other
>>> classes. All the author of a book can do is explain what audience
>>> he had in mind - he has no control over who actually reads the book.
>>>
>>> What's difficult about finding out what the students know?
>>> After the first quiz in differential equations I can tell you
>>> which ones know enough calculus.
>>>
>>> Your, erm, experience must be vastly different from mine;
>>> in particular the rules and regulations at the place where
>>> you teach must be very different.
>>>
>>> "exactly the wrong way round" indeed.
>>>

>> Some, like myself, study outside of the guidance
>> of curriculum committees and without the help
>> of instructors.
>>
>> I visit used book stores seeking books I can
>> afford -- some beyond my skill level.
>>
>> I work at understanding what I can. I look
>> for books that fill gaps when I have purchased
>> beyond my abilities.
>>
>> So, I do appreciate when an author makes a
>> plain statement of prerequisites.

> Of course that's a good thing - that in no way
> negates my comments on Paul's pronouncement...

Nor had it been intended as such. As with any field,
the business of mathematics will diverge from whatever
ideal conception one might have.

I spent a very short time in graduate school with
assitantships. That is as much of an education as
attending the classes.

As a professor, your views much better informed
along those lines.

Date Subject Author
3/17/13
Read Maths pedagaogy