Topic: Maths pedagaogy
Replies: 57   Last Post: Mar 21, 2013 9:47 PM

Herman Rubin

Re: Maths pedagaogy

On 2013-03-19, Frederick Williams <freddywilliams@btinternet.com> wrote:
> quasi wrote:

>> Frederick Williams wrote:

>> >While the lecturer knows to whom he is lecturing, the author of a
>> >book doesn't necessarily know who will read it.

>> But an author should always have an assumed target audience in
>> mind.

> Indeed so, but does he who takes the book down from the shelf know
> whether or not he is... um... targeted? I assume that he who walks into
> the lecture theatre knows whether a first year or graduate level lecture
> is going to be delivered. Since Paul Epstein tells me I've got it the
> wrong way round, I'll withdraw my remark anyway. Others will know
> better than I.

What is "first year" mathematics? What is "graduate level"
mathematics? Frankly, I would prefer to teach good rigorous
mathematics in elementary school to trying to get it through
the heads of those who believe that memorization of facts and
methods is mathematics. Many at the graduate level are like
this, and unfortunately they are getting PhD's on more of the
same type of material.

The original "new math" failed because the teachers could not
understand what the children could.

> (Just a minute though: "exactly the wrong way round." So I shall award
> myself one mark out of ten for exactitude.:-)

Date Subject Author
3/17/13
Read Maths pedagaogy
Paul