Topic: interopolation with method log, ln, or exp(-x)
Replies: 3   Last Post: Apr 4, 2013 3:51 PM

Curious

Re: interopolation with method log, ln, or exp(-x)

"Jonathan W Smith" wrote in message <kicmao$ek3$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>...
> Hello
> I have 3D gas constituent data from a model. The gas constituent data is on pressure levels. The pressure is on the 3D grid as well. Pressure falls exponentially with height. However I want to interpolate based on a different set of 3D pressure levels from satellite data.
>
> Is it best to use interp2 or interp3? Just as there is method 'linear' or 'cubic', is there one for ln (natural log) or exponential decay? If not, what function or set of functions can I use to substitute for this?

If I understand your question, I don't believe there is a "best" answer.
It really depends on your data and what you want to do with it.

If x is a vector, y = exp(x), and you want to interpolate y (by any method) then you could do either:

z = interp(y)

or

z = exp(interp(x))

Its really YOUR choice.