Topic: For the readers of WM: Resources on empirical time to consider as
a foundation for mathematics

Replies: 10   Last Post: Mar 21, 2013 11:34 PM

fom

Re: For the readers of WM: Resources on empirical time to consider

On 3/20/2013 4:36 PM, AMeiwes wrote:
> "fom" <fomJUNK@nyms.net> wrote in message

>> In the post,

>> WM has made the remarks,
>>
>> "This is deplorable because mathematic
>> like no other part of "arts"depends on
>> physics."

> wrong => math is not art. physics depends on math.

In fairness, the reference to "art" here involves the
distinction between the convocation of Masters of Arts
degrees and Masters of Science degrees in the system
of higher education. That, however, is irrelevant to
what is meant in relation to the relative logical
priority between mathematics and physics.

>> "Reality is the ultimate arbiter since
>> mathematics has been abstracted from
>> reality."

> circular thinking since one is thinking in circles.

I, personally, have no problem with circularity.
At issue, however, is the correctness of its application,
and "thinking in circles" is disqualified.