Topic: For the readers of WM: Resources on empirical time to consider as
a foundation for mathematics

Replies: 10   Last Post: Mar 21, 2013 11:34 PM

Virgil

Re: For the readers of WM: Resources on empirical time to consider as a foundation for mathematics

In article <1ZudnajAj7TF09fMnZ2dnUVZ_vydnZ2d@giganews.com>,
fom <fomJUNK@nyms.net> wrote:

> On 3/20/2013 4:36 PM, AMeiwes wrote:
> > "fom" <fomJUNK@nyms.net> wrote in message

> >> In the post,

> >> b.googlegroups.com
> >>
> >> WM has made the remarks,
> >>
> >> "This is deplorable because mathematic
> >> like no other part of "arts"depends on
> >> physics."

> > wrong => math is not art. physics depends on math.
> >

> In fairness, the reference to "art" here involves the
> distinction between the convocation of Masters of Arts
> degrees and Masters of Science degrees in the system
> of higher education. That, however, is irrelevant to
> what is meant in relation to the relative logical
> priority between mathematics and physics.
>

> >> "Reality is the ultimate arbiter since
> >> mathematics has been abstracted from
> >> reality."

> > circular thinking since one is thinking in circles.
> >

> I, personally, have no problem with circularity.
> At issue, however, is the correctness of its application,
> and "thinking in circles" is disqualified.

At least outside Wolkenmuekenheim.