Topic: Maths pedagaogy
Replies: 57   Last Post: Mar 21, 2013 9:47 PM

fom

Re: Maths pedagaogy

On 3/21/2013 3:52 PM, Kaba wrote:

> what you already know. The book then becomes a reference. In practice
> this means you won't be looking at proofs anymore, or spending much time
> with the book itself. What you do instead is to look up some small
> details.

I admit that I do not do as much mathematics
as I would like to do. And, for many things what
you describe here is absolutely correct.

For mathematics, if I were actively involved with
some specific area of study and frequently investigating
the same cluster of results, what you say would
also be true.

But, generally, the conditions of the premises and
any "known" results not forming the logic of the
proof for some given statement of interest involve
more. There is usually a hierarchy of definitions
that are not apparent without deeper investigation.
Since I tend to be careful about such things, I shall
politely disagree with you on this point in so far
as one might take it as a general rule.

Date Subject Author
3/17/13
Read Maths pedagaogy