Topic: For the readers of WM: Resources on empirical time to consider as
a foundation for mathematics

Replies: 10   Last Post: Mar 21, 2013 11:34 PM

Virgil

Re: For the readers of WM: Resources on empirical time to consider as a foundation for mathematics

In article <oqmdnbk0XcXeVtbMnZ2dnUVZ_gOdnZ2d@giganews.com>,
fom <fomJUNK@nyms.net> wrote:

> On 3/21/2013 8:26 AM, AMeiwes wrote:
> > "fom" <fomJUNK@nyms.net> wrote in message

> >> I, personally, have no problem with circularity.
> >> At issue, however, is the correctness of its application,
> >> and "thinking in circles" is disqualified.
> >>

> > if disqualification leads to disagreement, I agree
> >

> It is actually a precise statement in a historical
> sense. Admonition against all circularity is a recent
> phenomenon arising from Russell's treatment of viscous
> circles.

I have often heard of vicious circles, but not of viscous circles.

Are they anything like badly greased wheels?