Topic: Stone Cech
Replies: 49   Last Post: Mar 28, 2013 12:15 PM

Butch Malahide

Re: Stone Cech

On Mar 22, 9:43 am, David C. Ullrich <ullr...@math.okstate.edu> wrote:

> Hey, you guys are making progress!
> Now all we need is an f such that
> f(2) = 7, f(3) = 21 or whatever it was,
> and f(4) = 61. I doubt there's more than
> one such f...

There are many such f's. That's not the point. The point is that
knowing the values of f(n) up to n = 4 or 5 will be helpful in looking
for the sequence in the literature, e.g., in the OEIS. I don't think
computers will be terribly helpful. The rule of thumb for
combinatorial problems used to be that, with a computer, you can do
one more case than you can do by hand. With the more powerful
computers of today, maybe that's changed to 2 or 3 more cases.

Date Subject Author
3/14/13
Read Stone Cech
William Elliot