Topic: Teleprompter Code
Replies: 1   Last Post: Mar 23, 2013 3:24 AM

Christoph Lhotka

Re: Teleprompter Code

Dear Bruce,

I changed the end of your code into

fY[k_, dt_] := Module[{}, Pause[dt]; Y[[Mod[k, Length[Y]] + 1]]];

Manipulate[
Animate[fY[k, dt], {k, 1, \[Infinity], 1}, AnimationRate -> 100,
ContentSize -> {700, 50}],
{dt, {0.05, 0.25, 0.5}}]

fY does now return the content with index k after dt seconds.
With this we can set AnimationRate to a high value, to
run the animation smoothly, and control the speed of the
'string stream' using dt.

Remark: Neither ListAnimate nor Animate do produce
smooth animations on my PC (Mathematica 9, Ubuntu 12.04),
with the available options. Without the workaround they
are not really useful for me.

Best,

Christoph

PS: Here is the complete code:

X = X = StringJoin@ConstantArray[" ", 25] <>
"Let's define calculus terms using this sketch in which you're \
hiking over hills and valleys. You may want to pause this clip now \
in order to study the sketch and when you're ready, hit play. \t\t \
If the shape of the land is regarded as a function f(x), the sketch \
says that you start at a point whose x-coordinate is a and that you \
end at a point whose x-coordinate is b. \tWhile hiking, you'll \
always track the altitude--sometimes you're above sea level and \
sometimes you're not. (open new layer)\t\t\t At a blue point, you're \
at the hi-point for that part of the hike. (close/open layer)\t\t\
\t At a red point, you're at the lo-point for that part of the hike. \
(show both layers) \t\t\t The y-value of each blue point is called \
a maximum (WRITE THIS OUT in blue) and the y-value of each red point \
is called a minimum (WRITE THIS OUT in red). The blue points' \
y-values are collectively called the maxima (in BLUE) and likewise \
(in RED) minima for
the red points. If you're wondering why the green peak isn't \
blue, it's because the hike ends before you reach that peak,\t ";

L = StringLength@X;
subLength = 80;

Clear@Y;
Y = (y = StringTake[X, {#, Min[# + subLength, L]}];
Style[y, Blue, Bold, 12, FontFamily -> "Courier"]) & /@ Range@L;