Topic: calculate the area of a curve
Replies: 9   Last Post: Mar 24, 2013 8:53 AM

Nasser Abbasi

Re: calculate the area of a curve

On 3/23/2013 7:57 AM, angelina wrote:
> Hi!
> I am not sure if there is a way to calculate the area of a curve in matlab.

curve does not have an area. it is just a curved line. it has a length though
and it has curvature, but area?

>What I want to do , is first , define the curve (which is a load duration
>curve) and it is three piece linear.How can I define it?
> The coordinates are (0,100) , (2.8,75) and (100,25)
> Then , I want for the beginning to calculate the whole area af
>the curve and after that for many straight lines of the form y=a I want
>to calculate the area of the two areas that are created.
> Any comment or help woould be of great importance!
> Thanks a lot!

It sounds like you want to integrate a function and you have
only 3 points for it? May be you can look at trapz.

http://www.mathworks.com/help/matlab/ref/trapz.html

"Z = trapz(Y) computes an approximation of the integral of Y via the trapezoidal method"

good luck,

--Nasser