Topic: Stone Cech
Replies: 49   Last Post: Mar 28, 2013 12:15 PM

quasi

Re: Stone Cech

Butch Malahide wrote:

>Now I get 2, 7, 21, 61, 180 for the first five values. Doesn't
>match anything in the OEIS. I did the work slowly and carefully
>(took about an hour and a half), and so I'm reasonably sure my
>numbers are correct.

I wrote a program to do the counts.

It's very slow (it was designed for ease of programming, not for
speed of execution), but at least it's automatic.

For n = 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, I get the counts

2, 7, 21, 61, 178

so I match your counts until n = 5.

To help identify the cause of the discrepancy, let me ask this:

For n = 5 (5 segments) how many non-homeomorphic _connected_
compactifications did you get which cannot be represented with
less than 5 segments? I get 39 such spaces.

quasi

Date Subject Author
3/14/13
Read Stone Cech