Topic: Stone Cech
Replies: 49   Last Post: Mar 28, 2013 12:15 PM

Butch Malahide

Re: Stone Cech

On Mar 23, 8:54 pm, Butch Malahide <fred.gal...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 23, 5:25 pm, quasi <qu...@null.set> wrote:
>

> > Butch Malahide wrote:
>
> > >Now I get 2, 7, 21, 61, 180 for the first five values. Doesn't
> > >match anything in the OEIS. I did the work slowly and carefully
> > >(took about an hour and a half), and so I'm reasonably sure my
> > >numbers are correct.

> > I wrote a program to do the counts.
>
> > It's very slow (it was designed for ease of programming, not for
> > speed of execution), but at least it's automatic.

> > For n = 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, I get the counts
>
> >    2, 7, 21, 61, 178
>
> > so I match your counts until n = 5.
>
> > To help identify the cause of the discrepancy, let me ask this:
>
> > For n = 5 (5 segments) how many non-homeomorphic _connected_
> > compactifications did you get which cannot be represented with
> > less than 5 segments? I get 39 such spaces.

> Last night I counted 41 of them. I'll count them again and let you
> know how many I get this time.

Evidently, I didn't count them carefully enough last night. Now I get
39 connected graphs, making a total of 178. I was wrong, you were
right. Nice program you have there. In case anyone wants to see my
work, here are the 39 connected pseudographs with 5 edges and no
vertices of degree 2. Each pseudograph is described (incompletely) by
giving its degree sequence and, after a semicolon, the number of
loops.

10;5

9,1;4
7,3;2