Topic: Half Measure
Replies: 14   Last Post: Mar 25, 2013 5:03 PM

David C. Ullrich

Re: Half Measure and Correction

On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 00:48:48 -0500, quasi <quasi@null.set> wrote:

>quasi wrote:
>>William Elliot wrote:
>>

>>>Question: Is there a dense D, subset of R with
>>>empty interior and measure D /\ [0,1] = 1/2?

>>Yes.
>>
>>Let
>>
>> A = (0,1/2)\Q
>>
>> B = Q\A

>I meant:
>
> A = [0,1/2]\Q
>
> B = Q\[0,1/2]
>

>> D = A U B

Of course this answers the question as asked. But it's
sort of a cheat. If we're doing measure theory then we
want to ignore sets of measure zero...

Hmm. One might put it this way. _If_ we're talking
about measurable sets _modulo_ null sets then Q
doesn't count as dense because Q is the same as the
empty set; similarly your D doesn't really count as
having empty interior since A is the same as [0,1/2].

So the more interesting version of the question,
in any case less trivial, amounts to this: Is there
a measurable set D such that

0 < m(D intersect I) < m(I)

for every open interval I, and such that
m(D intersect [0,1]) = 1/2 ?

The answer is yes, by the way. Think about
"fat Cantor sets". Start with a Cantor set, then
add some more Cantor sets, one in each interval
the first set misses. Repeat until done...