Topic: name for definition in group theory
Replies: 15   Last Post: Mar 26, 2013 11:35 AM

Butch Malahide

Re: name for definition in group theory

On Mar 24, 11:44 am, David C. Ullrich <ullr...@math.okstate.edu>
wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 10:25:18 -0600, David C. Ullrich
> <ullr...@math.okstate.edu> wrote:

> >On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 08:15:15 -0700 (PDT), Paul <pepste...@gmail.com>
> >wrote:

> >>Does anyone know the name for the following property of a group G:   G has no non-trivial automorphisms.    ?

I guess it would be called a rigid group. I haven't seen the phrase
"rigid group" as such, but in other contexts structures with no
nontrivial automorphisms have been called rigid structures.

> >These groups are referred to as "groups of order 1 or 2".

There is a classical paper on groups of order 1; groups of order 2
have not received so much attention, as far as I know.

http://www.ams.org/journals/proc/1964-015-05/S0002-9939-1964-0167516-5/S0002-9939-1964-0167516-5.pdf