The Math Forum

Search All of the Math Forum:

Views expressed in these public forums are not endorsed by NCTM or The Math Forum.

Math Forum » Discussions » sci.math.* » sci.math

Notice: We are no longer accepting new posts, but the forums will continue to be readable.

Topic: name for definition in group theory
Replies: 15   Last Post: Mar 26, 2013 11:35 AM

Advanced Search

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List Jump to Tree View Jump to Tree View   Messages: [ Previous | Next ]
Butch Malahide

Posts: 894
Registered: 6/29/05
Re: name for definition in group theory
Posted: Mar 24, 2013 1:29 PM
  Click to see the message monospaced in plain text Plain Text   Click to reply to this topic Reply

On Mar 24, 11:44 am, David C. Ullrich <>
> On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 10:25:18 -0600, David C. Ullrich
> <> wrote:

> >On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 08:15:15 -0700 (PDT), Paul <>
> >wrote:

> >>Does anyone know the name for the following property of a group G:   G has no non-trivial automorphisms.    ?

I guess it would be called a rigid group. I haven't seen the phrase
"rigid group" as such, but in other contexts structures with no
nontrivial automorphisms have been called rigid structures.

> >These groups are referred to as "groups of order 1 or 2".

There is a classical paper on groups of order 1; groups of order 2
have not received so much attention, as far as I know.

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in this topic.

[Privacy Policy] [Terms of Use]

© The Math Forum at NCTM 1994-2018. All Rights Reserved.