Replies: 101   Last Post: Apr 7, 2013 10:38 PM

fom

On 3/24/2013 11:28 PM, david petry wrote:

> Mathematics and the Roots of Postmodern Thought
> Author: Vladimir Tasi?
> Oxford University Press, 2001
>
> "[this book] traces the root of postmodern theory to a debate on the foundations of mathematics early in the 20th century" -- from a blurb appearing in Google Books
>

> I've always thought there was a connection:
>
> Theorem: Truth, reality and logic are mere social constructs.
> Proof: By Godel's theorem, yada, yada, yada
>

> I actually believe that postmodernism is driving western civilization into a dark ages. And I think that's a good reason for getting mystical metaphysical nonsense out of mathematics. But no one seems to care.

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/postmodernism/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postmodernism

Perhaps you could select some specific excerpts from these pages --
or their links -- and make some claim of substance based on what
you learned from the argument of the book.

And, while you are at it, you could select some excerpts from
the following pages -- or their links -- that you are choosing to
defend since you failed to defend your notion of "falsifiability"
in the last thread you started.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophy_of_science#Scientific_realism_and_instrumentalism

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idealism#Idealism_in_the_philosophy_of_science

Finally, you may wish to explain how you would avoid the
condition

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%BCnchhausen_Trilemma

that will be inevitably approached by a system organized
around conclusions drawn from premises.

Date Subject Author
David Petry
fom