Topic: Matheology § 231
Replies: 9   Last Post: Mar 25, 2013 5:42 PM

fom

Re: Matheology § 231

On 3/25/2013 7:24 AM, WM wrote:
> Matheology § 231
>

> One philosophically important way in which numbers and sets, as they
> are naively understood, differ is that numbers are physically
> instantiated in a way that sets are not. Five apples are an instance
> of the number 5 and a pair of shoes is an instance of the number 2,
> but there is nothing obvious that we can analogously point to as an
> instance of, say, the set {{/0}}.
> [Nik Weaver: "Is set theory indispensable?"]
> http://www.math.wustl.edu/~nweaver/indisp.pdf

WM's proxy should have taken the time to learn
about Frege and Hume's principle:

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/frege-logic/

Modern set theory follows the Fregean model of treating
extensions of concepts as objects. The statements
above concerning "naive understanding" are ludicrous
in view of the history of the matters being criticized.

Perhaps WM would care to explain how the "creation myth"
from the theory of monotone inclusive crayon marks can
account for 5 apples.

The thought of WM "hanching" five apples is making me
lose my taste for mom's apple pie!