Replies: 101   Last Post: Apr 7, 2013 10:38 PM

fom

On 3/25/2013 11:59 AM, david petry wrote:

> The intuition, which has been articulated by many first rate
> mathematicians at least since Poincare', is that we should not
> try to talk about things that we can't actually talk about.

Frege once characterized the empty set as a "forest without trees".

Modern mereology follows Lesniewski in denying the existence of
an empty set.

Shall these be accepted as arguments to ban speaking of zero?

> Cantorian set theory, which purports to prove that there exist
> uncountable sets
> (and hence sets containing more things than we can actually
> talk about) is then seen as nonsense on an intuitive level.

Cantor's diagonal argument exposes a difficulty in
treating the continuum as being the same as the
sequence of natural numbers -- that is, as treating
infinity ambiguously.

To disentangle this issue mathematically requires a
theory of transfinite arithmetic.

Even if Cantor viewed his own conception in terms of
realism, why do you presume that this is required of
everyone else?

Date Subject Author
David Petry
fom