The Math Forum

Search All of the Math Forum:

Views expressed in these public forums are not endorsed by NCTM or The Math Forum.

Math Forum » Discussions » Math Topics » alt.math.recreational

Notice: We are no longer accepting new posts, but the forums will continue to be readable.

Topic: Name of this shape?
Replies: 3   Last Post: May 21, 2013 12:21 PM

Advanced Search

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List Jump to Tree View Jump to Tree View   Messages: [ Previous | Next ]
Peter Scales

Posts: 192
From: Australia
Registered: 4/3/05
Re: Name of this shape?
Posted: Mar 26, 2013 8:02 AM
  Click to see the message monospaced in plain text Plain Text   Click to reply to this topic Reply

> I call it a four pointed star, but is there another
> more formal, mathematical name for it?
> (Picture in the attachment)

Hi geoffrey,

The curve is a 'hypocycloid of four cusps', often referred to as "the astroid".
See, for example, "Analytic Geometry", C.A.Oakley,(Barnes & Noble, College Outline Series), 1959, p.156.

Regards, Peter Scales.

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in this topic.

[Privacy Policy] [Terms of Use]

© The Math Forum at NCTM 1994-2018. All Rights Reserved.