Topic: name for definition in group theory
Replies: 15   Last Post: Mar 26, 2013 11:35 AM

David C. Ullrich

Re: name for definition in group theory

On Mon, 25 Mar 2013 07:07:13 -0600, "G. A. Edgar"
<edgar@math.ohio-state.edu.invalid> wrote:

>In article <250320130642467406%edgar@math.ohio-state.edu.invalid>, G.
>A. Edgar <edgar@math.ohio-state.edu.invalid> wrote:

>> In article <m89uk8lshngii7afp7qktplg90ubnq9doj@4ax.com>, David C.
>> Ullrich <ullrich@math.okstate.edu> wrote:

>> > A topological group is
>> Now there is overkill for you.

>There are results in number theory where the simplest, best motivated,
>known proofs involve complex analysis.
>It would be very interesting if we find a result in group theory where
>the simplest proof involves topological groups. But this "rigid
>groups" theorem is not it...

You might read replies to your posts. I haven't claimed that the
first proof I gave was the best one. In fact I've explicitly
disclaimed that several times.