Replies: 101   Last Post: Apr 7, 2013 10:38 PM

fom

On 3/26/2013 1:18 PM, david petry wrote:
> On Tuesday, March 26, 2013 4:05:38 AM UTC-7, Dan wrote:
>

>> Gödel's theorem is here to stay .
>
> As I have argued previously, if we treat mathematics as a
> science and accept falsifiability as the cornerstone of
> mathematical reasoning, then Godel's theorem is utterly
> utterly trivial, while at the same time, his proof of the
> theorem is not a valid proof.
>
> https://groups.google.com/group/sci.math/msg/25be708362cb7e?

You write:

"When mathematicians talk, they want people to believe that they are
telling the truth. Again, that cannot be denied. When they claim to
have proven a theorem, they are implicitly claiming that the theorem
is actually true. That is, they are claiming that proofs are
compelling arguments."

Let me take "actually true" as corresponding with
"metaphysically true".

In order for your statements here to be substantive,
every mathematician would have to be a mathematical
realist. That is not at all clear. How a mathematician
views mathematical objects is a rather personal matter
since those objects are abstract. Moreover, that
viewpoint must change as a given object is considered.
By the time some proof is being given, protocol dictates
that the mathematician is playing a simple symbol
manipulation game. But, in prior deliberation one
should not be surprised if the object is a platonic
form.

All mathematicians would want their proofs to be
compelling arguments. But, since one can consider
premises that are contrary to one another, the limit
of a claim based on the quality of the argument only
applies to the conclusion in relation to the premises.

There is a part of the foundations of mathematics
that is grounded in realism. It is found in Frege
and Russell. It is found in Lesniewski, until he
concluded that the only sensible interpretation was
nominalism. And, Lesniewski is the perfect example
that your statements are too general. The search
to understand mathematics need not be the same as
the effort to provide mathematics with a metaphysical
ground. No ground, no claims of truth in any realist
interpretation of the word.

Date Subject Author
David Petry
fom