Topic: MathTeachers?
Replies: 31   Last Post: Apr 15, 2013 1:17 AM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: MathTeachers?

Joe Niederberger posted Mar 27, 2013 2:24 AM:

> Dave Renfro says:

> >See the attached .pdf file handout for more ideas.
>
> I like the part about not memorizing formulas, and
> also, the couple of pictures offered.
>
> I don't know how commonly known it is that Google
> offers a basic graphing capability from their search
> field. For instance, type "2^x, 10^x" or "e^x, ln(x)"
> into Google. Play around with rescaling the x&y
> various ways to explore a bit.
>
> So, I can't resist asking the classic groaner "Can
> you do this without calculus" question: what's
> bigger, e^pi or pi^e? (You can certainly do it with a
> calculator, so that's ruled out right away.)
>
> Cheers,
> Joe N

Neat! I didn't know about the Google graphing facility - I should explore that when my Internet connection is offering a little more speed.

I recall that 'groaner' once really groaned me out! When I was studying engineering, there were no calculators/computers available at all - we entirely depended on slide rules - and it could, with some difficulty (and rather unconvincingly), be done on a slide rule.

GSC