Topic: MathTeachers?
Replies: 31   Last Post: Apr 15, 2013 1:17 AM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: MathTeachers?

Joe Niederberger posted Mar 27, 2013 9:59 PM:

> GSC says:

> >"... the greatest shortcoming of the human race is
> our inability to understand the exponential function"
> -
>

> >This 'shortcoming' seems to have been something
> 'genetically inbuilt in our psyche. How than to bring
> home to students the overwhelming importance of this
> function?
>
> Actually, some people think our inborn number sense
> is logarithmic, and when we learn to count we are
> sort of working against that bias.
>
> Cheers,
> Joe N

I don't see how that could be (i.e., our inborn number sense being 'logarithmic'). Any references? I would have thought that an infant's near-constant examination of his/her own fingers and toes (which I've observed time and time again) would naturally lead to numbers from 1 to 10 and not to 'logs'. Thus would appreciate any references if you have them, to correct my supposition.

By the way, I was only quoting Albert T. Bartlett - his observation made a considerable impact on me - suddenly made me realise that I had not earlier appreciated that our lack of understanding of the implications of the 'exponential function' being the possible 'root cause' of the 'downfall of the human race' (if that comes to be).

GSC