Topic: MathTeachers?
Replies: 31   Last Post: Apr 15, 2013 1:17 AM

kirby urner

Re: MathTeachers?
att1.html (1.9 K)

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 11:16 AM, Joe Niederberger <niederberger@comcast.net
> wrote:

> GS Chandy syas:
> >I don't see how that could be (i.e., our inborn number sense being
> 'logarithmic'). Any references?
>
> Oh, maybe start here:
> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2610411/
>
> But its been a contention of Dehaene for some time and is discussed in his
> book "The Number Sense".
>
> But even if humankind breeds and consumes itself unto catastrophic
> collapse I don't think I'd blame lack of understanding "exp".
>
> Cheers,
> Joe N

Just to take the opposite view for the sake of (possibly useful) debate:
human civilizations are often destroyed or on the brink of destruction
because of the institution of debt coupled with interest. I've been
reading 'Debt: The First 5000 Years' which makes clear the driving force
that is 'debt' in this world.

By mixing exponential growth curves into the "IOU" economy, humans have
developed powerful ways to drive each other off the road and out of
business. Whole nations eliminate their anti-malaria programs (this has
happened) because of "austerity measures" imposed by such as the IMF
(International Monetary Fund).

One could find it highly indicative of "the trouble with math today" that
we've gotten this far into our discussion of exp with no one so far (until
now) bringing up money and interest.

Kirby