Topic: Few questions on forcing, large cardinals
Replies: 2   Last Post: Mar 28, 2013 1:42 AM

ross.finlayson@gmail.com

Re: Few questions on forcing, large cardinals

On Mar 26, 9:42 pm, fom <fomJ...@nyms.net> wrote:
> On 3/26/2013 9:35 PM, Ross A. Finlayson wrote:
>

> > On Mar 24, 10:20 am, "Ross A. Finlayson" <ross.finlay...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> >> An analysis pointing out perceived deficiencies in forcing:
>
> >>http://groups.google.com/group/sci.math/msg/c855b91976dde22e
>
> >> Basically forcing "scales" the universe then as to where transfinite
> >> induction (over transfinite ordinals) is through all of them.  The
> >> difference between this and plain transfinite induction is as to the
> >> difference between induction and transfinite induction.  Then it is as
> >> to transfinite Dirichlet box.

> >> Borel's hierarchy in terms of finite languages and computability is as
> >> to countable ordinals and even more simply polynomials in omega.

> >> A model of ZF _is_ ill-founded.  Whether in "naive" set theory or not,
> >> with its concomitant paradoxes of Russell, Cantor, and Burali-Forti as
> >> are well known, it's in ZF:  or not, and as a model of ZF, includes
> >> all theorems of ZF, and then some, else ZF could model itself.  (Which
> >> it doesn't, directly.)

> >> So,
>
> >> a) model theory is in the meta, and in naive set theory
>
> >> b) forcing introduces elements that would exist in ZF that have
> >> properties of elements that wouldn't exist in ZF

> >> c) large cardinals presuppose a universe (and aren't regular sets nor
> >> cardinals)

> >> d) models of regular theories are irregular (as are large cardinals)
>
> >> e) transfinite ordinals and polynomials in w support transfinite
> >> Dirichlet box

> >> f) there are non-trivial elementary embeddings V -> V, else in pure
> >> sets no elements of structure with models (under isomorphism) are
> >> primary, and all are concrete/constructible

> >> g) there's a non-trivial elementary embedding V -> V, v -> V\v
>
> >> h) the paradoxes of naive set theory with regards to HOD transitive
> >> closure as regularity aren't resolved in their demurral

> > So:  what theory are large cardinals in, and, is it consistent, in
> > that theory, to force them into ZF?  Because, if they're independent
> > of ZF, the axioms establishing their definition, large cardinals,
> > isn't there a theory, with them?

> > One might aver to NFU (New Foundations with Universes, vis-a-vis, New
> > Foundations with Ur-Elements) and then having large "sets", compared
> > to the universe (or domain of discourse, as it were) of ZF(C), but
> > then they're classes, and there's only one proper class.  And, in a
> > pure set theory:  it's a set.

> For my part Ross, I do not want to misdirect
> you.  It has been a very long time since I
> had been studying set theory closely enough
> to talk about large cardinals.
>
> My primary investigations had been with respect
> to how the sign of equality is treated within the
> theory.  The model theory of forcing models is
> directly relevant to that understanding.  The
> specifics of large cardinals and their axioms
> are not.
>
> I hope I have been of some help to you.

Dichotomy is a basic reasoning. Everything or rather any thing is
defined by what it isn't. The "context", of a thing or assembly, is
basically the universe setminus the thing: v ~ V\v.

Western tradition has then Kant, Hegel, and Heidegger as the
philosophical leaders of the concepts of "Nothing", and "Being", or
existence, then for Heidegger also "Time". The Universal is often in
passage ascribed to the divinity, but it's as simple to start with
"Nothing" and "All" as to start with zero, then one.

Then in terms of identity or tautology, equality, even the very
concept of equality is seen to vary: for all that n object evinces as
identity, and all the things that come together as it as tautology.

Then that is rather airy but the basic consideration of equality
consequent all structure has a variety of reasonings to so define it,
of basically sameness and convergence.

Forcing is a reflection that via properties of the universe, there is
as much tendency from greatest to smallest as least to most, here of
the definition of ordinals from zero, in the universe, here of
ordinals and as such: ordinal. Then, where technical philosophy
founds logic founds mathematics, forcing in logic is that there is a
universe with its self-similar and self-containing properties (a la
Kant's Ding-an-Sich or thing-in-itself) of here set theory: a
universe. Forcing is an axiomatization, of the maximal, for a theory
that the maximal would make inconsistent.

Then in the paraconsistent one can find simple enough that the
_direct_ results of ZF are still so, but that _eventual_ or _extended_
results are not, when _direct_ results of as intuitive a notion as
that there is an "All", and consequences that there is, leave the
happy fiction that ZF could be consistent when its own model, and so
modeling it, would invalidate it. Yet, specific to that notion is
that as well is justified at least as reasonable (given reason)
grounds that universe-like structures and deduction of their existence
and the import of all's existence has: not just an interminable
cascade of apologizing to the universe with ever greater and never
great non-set cardinals in set theory, but here theory, and set
theory, accommodating the dialetheic.

All and Nothing, Nothing and All: same.

So: forcing is an axiomatization: of a universe-like set. And, it's
a contrivance: for theory and its universe.

A theory: is the theory of everything.

Regards,

Ross Finlayson