Topic: Matheology § 224
Replies: 9   Last Post: Mar 31, 2013 1:08 PM

ross.finlayson@gmail.com

Re: Matheology § 224

On Mar 27, 8:06 am, "Ross A. Finlayson" <ross.finlay...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Mar 26, 10:06 pm, fom <fomJ...@nyms.net> wrote:
>

> > On 3/26/2013 9:23 PM, Ross A. Finlayson wrote:
>
> > <snip>
>
> > > And every mathematician knows that what is verified in the applied
> > > makes a lot of sense.

> > This knowledge of which you speak may not actually involve
> > verification in any empirical sense.

> > Where mathematics is applied, there is a pretense of
> > measurement and calculation.  If a new method of analyzing
> > and manipulating empirical data arises, the general
> > interest turns to identifying the theoretical relationships
> > with the established mathematics.

> > In "Critique of Pure Reason" Kant makes some remarks
> > that may be paraphrased as:

> > That which is intelligible is made sensible.
>
> > That which is sensible is made intelligible.
>
> > In the Kantian framework, this symmetry expresses the
> > relationship between the theoretical coherence provided
> > by an intelligible logic and the a priori relations provided
> > by a sensible mathematics.

> > These words are being used in relation to a strict jargon
> > and are not to be taken flippantly as justifying either
> > side of the debate with WM.  They certainly *do not apply*
> > to his theory of willfully constructed monotonic inclusive
> > crayon marks. I just wanted to give you a slightly different
> > view of what you had been expressing for your own
> > consideration.

> The character of the reals (as it were, in abstract algebra character
> has a meaning) and the nature of the continuous and discrete and the
> bounary or lack thereof between continuous and discrete is of direct
> relevance to continuum analysis, which has direct relevance to physics
> and processes in reality.  The value of mathematics about the
> continuous and discrete is more than the aesthetic or knowledge-
> driven, it is of import to utilitarian needs.
>
> Then, where the character of the reals for real analysis is that
> countable additivity is used to extract results basically of delta-
> epsilonics (there exists e < d for any finite d), when there has been
> developed this mathematical notion of uncountability, users of
> mathematics look to it to offer methods for the improvement and
> general development of physics and processes in reality.  And, they
> have looked long and hard, and _not found uses of uncountability as
> mathematics that as falsifiable in experiment support the scientific
> method_.
>
> Of course this in itself doesn't mean uncountability isn't mathematics
> or is an inconsistent mathematics (for what axioms define, regardless
> their truth).  However, where the axioms of mathematics are the
> foundation for the axioms of physics, but one of their primary
> consequences has no import to the foundation for physics as verifiable
> scientifically,  those axioms of mathematics aren't so justified as
> axioms of physics (not that they're shown un-justified without an
> alternative scientific theory, but they're _not_ shown justified.)

> [...]

Two paths are distinct at least one node, but there are only countably
many nodes.

Any node is a copy of the root of the tree, for the tree of all
infinite sequences or the tree of rational sequences (those ending
with a finite repeating pattern). Any node in the tree of all
infinite sequences exists in the tree of rational sequences, and there
are countably many nodes.

And, the breadth-first sweep of the tree doesn't see uncountability
(of the nodes, of the tree) thus result.

While countable the rationals are still surely larger in almost all
regards than the naturals. Basically that the rationals are countable
is an example of that: the second order, reduces to first order, for
any N x N <-> N.

Well I'd wonder more if the uncountable was applied anywhere: please
details applications of the uncountable so it would be more clear it
doesn't just put off more work in the foundations as concrete.

Then, what would be remarkable, and compelling, for the foundations of
real analysis, is to better work up what is where: the continuous of
the continuum, and the discrete of its individua: meet and part, not
just that they don't.

Because, modern mathematics is yet rather mute on that, and the
continuum is additively countable: for what it's worth.

Regards,

Ross Finlayson