Replies: 101   Last Post: Apr 7, 2013 10:38 PM

fom

On 3/30/2013 9:20 AM, Jesse F. Hughes wrote:
> david petry <david_lawrence_petry@yahoo.com> writes:

>>> Meaning can be a complicated question. Typically,
>>> in the modern sense of meaning, the meaning of a
>>> statement is now taken to be its truth conditions.

>> I guess that by "in the modern sense" you mean that some kind of
>> consensus has been reached by the elite philosophers you think are
>> worth listening to. I really doubt that a majority of intelligent
>> people would agree with that consensus.

> Right.
>
> But if you ask the man on the street what provides meaning, he'll say
> "falsifiability!"
>
> It's no good pretending that philosophers' answers are irrelevant,
> because they are not accepted by the common man, when your own answers
> are similarly obscure and unaccepted.

Actually, the man on the street would probably express
a correspondence theory of truth with regard to statements
involving material objects.

If pressed on meaning involving abstract objects, a sort
of personal pragmatism would be invoked on the basis of
utilities and/or beliefs.

If pressed further, one would most likely hear something
such as:

"It is what it is"

That seems to be the nature of reductive reasoning and
epistemology. In the final analysis, the elite philosophers
do not do much better.

Date Subject Author
David Petry
fom