Topic: Basic GLM Question
Replies: 6   Last Post: Apr 9, 2013 2:53 PM

Gary

Re: Basic GLM Question

On Sunday, 31 March 2013 08:00:38 UTC+2, Rich Ulrich wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Mar 2013 16:04:46 -0700 (PDT), Gary
>
> wrote:
>

> >On Saturday, 30 March 2013 15:20:56 UTC+2, SChapman wrote:
>
> >> Why is it that we don't try to predict individual values in Generalized Linear Model. But in a General Linear Model (Simple Linear Regression) we do try and predict individual response variable values.
>

> >Who is the 'we' in your statement? Are you absolutely certain that no one uses generalized linear models for predictions?
>

> >Models are built for specific purposes. Sometimes the purpose is just to understand a system, sometimes it is for more practical purposes which might include predictions. Maybe most of the more applied researchers haven't yet caught on to the value of generalized linear models...
>

> Now that you mention it -- I can't remember whether I have ever
>
> requested "predicted values" for any of the thousands of regressions
>
> that I must have run since 1970. Biostatisticians in my sort of
>
> clinical work haven't had that sort of application where they are
>
> useful.
>

> On the other hand, I did find it useful to look at details of
>
> prediction when I was figuring out the peculiarites of
>
> discriminant function -- predicted group membership based
>
> on the highest observed likelihood of belonging to any
>
> group (even when the highest is not "high"). But even that
>
> was for theoretical understanding, not as a useful product
>
> of "applied research."

I hope I didn't offend you. I had in mind the sort of applied researcher who just wants to figure out which credit applicant will not repay a loan without really wanting to understand the behavioural science of loan repayment.

Lance