Replies: 101   Last Post: Apr 7, 2013 10:38 PM

dan.ms.chaos@gmail.com

On Apr 1, 5:40 pm, fom <fomJ...@nyms.net> wrote:
> On 4/1/2013 9:03 AM, Dan wrote:
>

> > On Apr 1, 3:40 pm, Frederick Williams <freddywilli...@btinternet.com>
> > wrote:

> >> That's a big claim to make.  It seems likely that when they (Hilbert
> >> spaces and Riemannian geometry) first appeared, not every physicist
> >> voiced an opinion that has come down to us.

> >> If it was von Neumann[1] who invented Hilbert space, then it seems it
> >> was invented in order to give quantum mechanics a rigorous underpinning.

> >> [1] von Neumman, _Mathematical foundations of quantum mechanics_,
> >> Princeton UP.

> >> --
> >> When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by
> >> this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him.
> >> Jonathan Swift: Thoughts on Various Subjects, Moral and Diverting

> >https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hilbert_space#Historythe concept of
> > Hilbert Space was developed prior to the realization of its utility
> > within quantum mechanics, although Von Neumann was the first to give a
> > completed axiomatic formulation, specifically for this purpose . My
> > point was that ,while I do believe set theory to be excessive, this is
> > not so for anything up to second order arithmetic . Furthermore , as
> > mathematicians , we should not let ourselves be constraint by the
> > narrow vision of what empiricists believe as legitimate. Leibniz ,
> > Euler , and Russell used infinitesimals in developing their results .
> > The same empiricist stigma was once manifest against the 'fictions
> > quantities' we now refer to as imaginary numbers . Imagine doing
> > modern physics without imaginary numbers. While 'empirical exploration
> > of numbers' may sometimes give us hints (and sometimes false ones
> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graham%27s_number, as the
> > counterexamples are too far of to be determined empirically ) ,
> > mathematics isn't about empiricism, it's about rational proof .  If we
> > proved Fermat's theorem true , we need not check every number for
> > counterexamples . Furthermore , doing so would be a futile endeavor .
> > No one has ever "seen the numbers" , or "performed an experiment on
> > the numbers" , unless it was fundamentally a 'thought experiment' .The
> > essential difference between 'thought experiment' and 'empirical
> > experiment' should be the theme of this discussion .

> One can find a critic for everything:
>
> "A thought experiment is no substitute for a real experiment, he
> claimed, and should be forbidden in science, including science
> education."  (A paraphrase of Duhem)
>
> The next sentence, quite naturally being the statement:
>
> "However, in view of the important role of actual thought experiments in
> the history of physics � from Galileo's falling bodies, to Newton's
> bucket, to Einstein's elevator � it is unlikely that anyone will feel or
> should feel much sympathy for Duhem's strictures."
>
> http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/thought-experiment/#DebOveThoExp
>

> > I also recall
> [...]

While we can use thought experiments to reason about the physical
world, my point is that mathematics is 'the domain of thought' , and
as such , the only kind of experiment you can have in mathematics is a
'thought experiment' . Falsifiability in mathematics is a category
error .

Date Subject Author
David Petry
fom