Replies: 101   Last Post: Apr 7, 2013 10:38 PM

dan.ms.chaos@gmail.com

On Apr 1, 6:34 pm, Frederick Williams <freddywilli...@btinternet.com>
wrote:
> Dan wrote:
> > While we can use thought experiments to reason about the physical
> > world, my point is that mathematics is 'the domain of thought' , and
> > as such , the only kind of experiment you can have in mathematics is a
> > 'thought experiment' . Falsifiability in mathematics is a category
> > error .

> What about Lakatos's Proofs and Refutations?
>
> --
> When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by
> this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him.
> Jonathan Swift: Thoughts on Various Subjects, Moral and Diverting

Nice point .Even as we may use, and encourage such games in developing
mathematics , the final result is true, ergo free from falsifiability,
ergo , correct. Physical theories, as we know them , have no 'endgame'
where they become "true" , non-falsifiable .
"No amount of experimentation can ever prove me right; a single
experiment can prove me wrong." - Albert Einstein

Date Subject Author
David Petry
fom
David Petry