Replies: 101   Last Post: Apr 7, 2013 10:38 PM

Virgil

In article <e5c3e823-af30-4b54-ac84-2dbfffef67a2@googlegroups.com>,
david petry <david_lawrence_petry@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Monday, April 1, 2013 2:25:31 AM UTC-7, Dan wrote:
>

> > On Apr 1, 7:20 am, david petry <david_lawrence_pe...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > > Applied mathematicians know they have to produce something that is of use
> > > to the scientists, which does imply that they are taking falsifiability
> > > into consideration.

> > Real mathematicians do their own thing
>
> Are you suggesting that applied mathematicians are not real mathematicians?

Pure and applied mathematicians certainly have a different point of view
as to what mathematics is.

For purely pure mathematicians a theory (like, say, group theory) is its
own justification, whereas to purely applied mathematicians, such a
theory is a only tool to be used in solving "real world" problems.

I suspect that most of those who think of themselves as mathematicians
fall somewhere in between those two extremes.

--

Date Subject Author
David Petry
fom