Topic: Binomial where a=1?
Replies: 8   Last Post: Apr 5, 2013 2:07 PM

Ken.Pledger@vuw.ac.nz

Re: Binomial where a=1?

In article <741da947a07ad28bd260dc8dcfe67e8b@remailer.paranoici.org>,
Anonymous <nobody@remailer.paranoici.org> wrote:

> Is there a special name for a binomial where a=1:
>
> (a+b)^n = (1+b)^n ?
>
> Something like "uninomial", "unomial" or "anomial"?

It seems not. I've looked up a few old-fashioned algebra books which
might have used such a name. Hall & Knight "Elementary Algebra for
Schools," 7th edition (1897), p.332, just says:
"The expansion of a binomial may always be made to depend upon the case
in which the first term is unity; thus
(x + y)^n = (x(1 + y/x))^n = (x^n)((1 + z)^n), where z = y/x."

That's the sort of thing I remember seeing in other old algebra books
as well.

Ken Pledger.