Topic: Then answer to Frege's two objections to formalism.
Replies: 17   Last Post: Apr 9, 2013 7:56 AM

Zaljohar@gmail.com

Re: Then answer to Frege's two objections to formalism.

On Apr 6, 1:15 pm, Zuhair <zaljo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]

> > significant from the practical stand point. What are the meta-physics
> > of that connection deserves to be studied.

> > So interesting mathematics can be understood as: Pervasive analytics
> > real or fictional.

> > If we redefine virtual to be real or proximal fictional, then
> > mathematics in the interesting sense burns down to

> > Pervasive virtual analytics.
>
> > So at the end here I've presented the answers to Freges' objections to
> > formalism which are the main ones I understand.

> > Zuhair
>
> I'll draw two objections to this method.
>
> (1) It is silent on some questions of mathematical interest deeming
> them as meta-mathematical.
> (2) There are subjects of mathematical interest that are not
> approximative.
>
> The first objection is concerned with questions like is ZFC
> consistent? or is ZFC true? etc...
> More appropriately put with the context of this method, questions
> about justification of the primary rules of the game. Clearly this
> method is not concerned with any prior specifications on choice of the
> rules of the game, it opens the door wide for ALL such games, and
> considers all Analytic output of those games to be mathematical
> despite the metaphysical nature of the game or the justification drawn
> for its premises, what matters to this method is just the fellowship
> of the results from the premises whatever those premises are. But to
> many mathematicians the nature of the game is itself important and
> justifications around it does matter. The statement that for example:
> Con(ZFC) ->Con(Z) although absolutely true analytically yet it would
> turn to be a trivial result if ZFC was not consistent, and ignoring
> justification for the antecedent in those statements might lead us to
> be involved with trivialities.
>
> The answer to this question lies in understanding that not every
> question raised within the discourse of some discipline qualifies it
> as part of that discipline. For example I need a microscope to
> diagnose some infections, now a lens is a part of that microscope but
> the detailed manufacture of that lens and questions raised about it is
> not part of the clinical medical practice. The details of manufacture
> of a drug is not part of internal medicine, yet the internist is
> involved primarily in treatment of diseases using drugs. It is the
> same matter here mathematics uses rule driven fictional realms to
> harvest analytic facts raised within them, the fictional realm itself
> and the justification for selecting its rules is not part of
> mathematics. What the mathematician demands of course practically
> speaking is for the meta-mathematician to tell him that the so and so
> system have strong justification, so that he uses them without being
> just wasting time with trivialities much like what the physician
> demands from the pharmacist or the drug manufacturing company, that

There are still some technical answers to objection 1, that are:

(1) some weak theories can indeed prove their own consistency and can
be traced back
to logic itself. so those are not the target of objection 1.

(2) for those strong theories mathematics might play a rule in solving
the problem of their justification by proving them to be consequences
of theories that have a better justification, we can continue that
until we reach into base theories that can have a philosophical
justification similar to those lying behind analytic results
themselves, so mathematics did cash in on intermediate basis here. But
still the ultimate justification would be a non mathematical one since
it is not analytic it would be a priori synthetic one lying on
philosophical concepts, and it will not be part of mathematics per se.