Topic: Re: Matheology § 224
Replies: 10   Last Post: Apr 7, 2013 3:27 PM

namducnguyen

Re: Matheology § 224

On 06/04/2013 9:15 AM, Peter Percival wrote:
> Nam Nguyen wrote:
>

>> In any rate do you agree that my statement:

>> is correct?

> No, a little upstream I wrote
>
> If the Goldbach conjecture is undecidable in PA then it is true.
>
> which is a quite uncontroversial claim.

Well then one can't expect a fruitful argument about mathematical
_logic_ matters with those whose counter reasoning is based on such
a basis as "uncontroversial claim".

It kind of reminds me the time when I was in high-school arguing
with my friends about the motion paradox (Zeno paradox) and when
we (I included) got stuck in convincing the others, we used the
_arguments_ like:

- "but it's so clear that ..."
- "you must admit that ..."
- "it's so true beyond any doubt that ..."

(We were not taking calculus then, btw).

No. "Uncontroversial claim" doesn't cut it, doesn't cut a controversial
"knowledge".

It's kind of "sad" that since Godel, mathematical _logic_ has
retrograded in progress, in rigidity, back to high school per-calulus
"rigorousness".

NYOGEN SENZAKI