Topic: rayshade POV Export help asked
Replies: 1   Last Post: Apr 6, 2013 9:55 PM

Murray Eisenberg

Re: rayshade POV Export help asked

Thanks for attempting this!

A number of troubles with your distribution on OS X, to the extent I
couldn't reach the stage of getting it to work:

(1) The main package is named rayshade.2.2.m, which means one has to
load it as:

<<rayshade.2.2`rayshade.m`

The package name is almost the same as the directory name. Normally one
would place the entire extracted directory into the $UserBaseDirectory's
Applications directory. The Wouldn't it be better to rename the folder,
as distributed, simply "rayshade" and then include within the directory
a subdirectory "Kernel" and in that put an init.m with contents:

Get["rayshade`rayshade`"]

(2) The distribution seems to have been developed for older versions of
Mathematica, which requires some considerable fixing for Mathematica 9
(and I think even 8):

(a) Package rayshade.m begins:

BeginPackage["rayshade`","DiscreteMath`ComputationalGeometry`"]

But in current Mathematica, add-on ComputationalGeometry is directly
available with a simpler context-path ComputationalGeometry`. That is,
the BeginPackage should be simply:

BeginPackage["rayshade`","ComputationalGeometry`"]

(b) Package rayshade.m includes:

Needs["rayshade`SurfaceGraphics3D`"]

And the old SurfaceGraphics3D.m, distributed with rayshade.2.2, uses
Utilities`FilterOptions`. But the latter utility is now obsolete, and
its functionality is provided by the kernel function FilterRules.

Hope you'll update these things to the current environment -- or, if you
wish, for backward compatibility include some forking -- so that we can
then test the application.

On Apr 6, 2013, at 5:10 AM, debguy <johnandsara2@cox.net> wrote:

> I'd like feedback on this: Much improved Export for rayshade and POV
> raytracing.
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/rayshade-math/
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/rayshade-linux/
>
> "most missed support". It'd be nice to hear what is "most missed" for
> how you might use it. Other feedback or advice is certainly welcome.
>
> (rayshade` Makes file.ray that will look much like notebook raytraced
> with rayshade. Views too, even in front-end. POVRay is partially
> supported too.)
>
> submitted to http://library.wolfram.com/ but not yet available there
> - waiting for approval
>
> Does anyone know if another such raytrace file Export project exists
> other than Mathematica build-in? (not GL/CL/dfx/threescript graphics,
> raytrace ones) I missed it if there is.
>
> Thanks very much !

---
Murray Eisenberg murray@math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
University of Massachusetts 413 545-2838 (W)
710 North Pleasant Street fax 413 545-1801
Amherst, MA 01003-9305