Topic: My final formal answer as to what classes are and what class
membership is!

Replies: 7   Last Post: Apr 7, 2013 4:34 AM

fom

Re: My final formal answer as to what classes are and what class
membership is!

On 4/6/2013 11:30 PM, Charlie-Boo wrote:
> On Mar 29, 4:30 am, Zuhair <zaljo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mar 29, 5:30 am, fom <fomJ...@nyms.net> wrote:
>>

> > > It needs work Zuhair. You are either presenting
> > > 4 different definitions that you believe to be
> > > equivalent without proof or you are considering
> > > 4 different alternatives. It is very confusing.

> > Why do I prefer this definition?

> This is EXACTLY what I was just saying that you do, Zuhair. You try
> to formalize something before having a clear idea as to what you are
> proposing. You try to solve problems by formalizing. Problems are
> solved by creative thinking. Then you make the idea crystal clear,
> THEN you can formalize it. Here you are formalizing way before then,
> to the point where you don't even have the answer yet - so you list 4
> possible solutions!
>
> This is like a child handing in his homework late, pages are torn,
> parts are missing, he's scribbled on it "I don't know the answer to
> this one but I think it's either A, D, E or G."
>
> SLOPPY!!

Well, you may be a little harsh with
your remarks here.

There is an interplay between using formal statements
and clarifying unclear notions. I simply opened
his post with one expectation to find something very
different.

I do not know what Zuhair's background is, but the
philosophers who publish mereology do not present the
material with mathematical rigor or the stricture of
a compiler/interpreter/assembler. Zuhair's posts
reflect the kind of materials he seems to be focused
on reading.

However, you have asked to see proofs where claims
were made. None had been forthcoming. It would
be nice to see more responsiveness along those
lines.

(But, I cannot throw the first stone. I got mad
about something and posted the most intractable
mess you ever opened.)