Topic: some amateurish opinions on CH
Replies: 57   Last Post: Apr 16, 2013 8:12 PM

dan.ms.chaos@gmail.com

Re: some amateurish opinions on CH

On Apr 7, 11:22 pm, WM <mueck...@rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote:
> On 7 Apr., 20:32, Dan <dan.ms.ch...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > You need not count a set in order to prove its countability. A subset
> > > of a countable set is countable in set theory and wherever
> > > countability appears to be a meaningful notion. You cannot save
> > > uncountability in set theory after violating this theorem.

> > > Regards, WM
>
> > How can you say a set is countable if you can't "actually"  count it?
>
> "Countably infinity" is the least infinity. A subset of it cannot have
> larger cardinality if cardinality should have any meaning. IIRC
> otherwise already Schroeder-Bernstein would fail.
>

> > Countability needs to be effective :
>
> No. I cannot count the rabbits on earth, nevertheless I know they are
> countable. Every meaningful application of set theory needs the
> theorem that a subset cannot have larger cardinailty than its
> superset.
>
> But, of course, this yields a contradiction.
>

> > The difference between countable and uncountable is as obvious as the
> > difference between playing ALL POSSIBLE lottery numbers and playing
> > only the WINNING ones . You can make yourself a fantasy that you only
> > play THE WINNING NUMBERS (after all, their just a subset of ALL
> > POSSIBLE NUMBERS) , but that don't make it so .

> In set theory we have the theorem that a subset of a countable set has
> cardinality aleph_0 or is finite. If you want to introduce "effective
> countability" in order to save set theory, you destroy it.
>
> Regards, WM

Well, in "standard set theory" we also have uncountable sets .
Judging by your history on sci.math , you shouldn't be using "standard
set theory" as an argument .
This is called "special pleading" , or , to use a simpler term ,
hypocrisy .
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_pleading

Now , I'm sure you can say that "GOD can play the lottery and always
win" , or "GOD can count any subset of the natural numbers" ,
but do you really want to go there?

This isn't about what God MIGHT or MIGHT NOT be able to do, but what
YOU can and can't do .
Prove you know how to count the set I described by winning the lottery
a couple of times ,or admit you failure to do so with dignity.

Date Subject Author
4/7/13
Read some amateurish opinions on CH
fom