Topic: Misner, Thorne and Wheeler, Exercise 8.5 (c)
Replies: 38   Last Post: Apr 13, 2013 11:57 PM

Dirk Van de moortel

Re: Misner, Thorne and Wheeler, Exercise 8.5 (c)

"Hetware" <hattons@speakyeasy.net> schreef in bericht news:Duidna9WrZBIBv7MnZ2dnUVZ_rydnZ2d@megapath.net...
> On 4/8/2013 9:27 AM, Dirk Van de moortel wrote:
>> Hetware <hattons@speakyeasy.net> wrote:
>>> This is the geodesic equation under discussion:
>>>
>>> d^2(r)/dt^2 = r(dp/dt)^2
>>>
>>> d^2(p)/dt^2 = -(2/r)(dp/dt)(dr/dt).
>>>
>>> r is radius in polar coordinates, p is the angle, and t is a path
>>> parameter.
>>> The authors ask me to "[S]olve the geodesic equation for r(t) and
>>> p(t), and show that the solution is a uniformly parametrized straight
>>> line(x===r cos(p) = at+p for some a and b; y===r sin(p) = jt+k for
>>> some j and k).

>> Normally we'd write dotted variables, but with quotes it's easier.
>> So write

> Like this?
>
> <math xmlns='http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML'

[snip]

This is a text group :-)

Dirk Vdm

Date Subject Author
4/7/13
Read Misner, Thorne and Wheeler, Exercise 8.5 (c)
Guest
4/7/13
Read Re: Misner, Thorne and Wheeler, Exercise 8.5 (c)
Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of Medway
4/8/13
Read Re: Misner, Thorne and Wheeler, Exercise 8.5 (c)
Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of Medway
4/8/13
Read Re: Misner, Thorne and Wheeler, Exercise 8.5 (c)
Hetware
4/8/13
Read Re: Misner, Thorne and Wheeler, Exercise 8.5 (c)
Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of Medway
4/8/13
Read Re: Misner, Thorne and Wheeler, Exercise 8.5 (c)
Hetware
4/9/13
[...]
rotchm@gmail.com
4/9/13
Read Re: Misner, Thorne and Wheeler, Exercise 8.5 (c)
Dirk Van de moortel
4/13/13
Read Re: Misner, Thorne and Wheeler, Exercise 8.5 (c)
Dono
4/13/13
Read Re: Misner, Thorne and Wheeler, Exercise 8.5 (c)
rotchm@gmail.com
4/13/13
Read MTW, Exercise 8.5 (c), Crotchm reasserts his imbecility
Dono
4/13/13
Read MTW Exercise 8.5 (c) - Crotchm the poser puts his foot in his mouth,
big time
Dono
4/13/13
[...]
Read Re: MTW Exercise 8.5 (c) - Crotchm the poser puts his foot in his
mouth, big time
rotchm@gmail.com
4/13/13
Read Re: MTW Exercise 8.5 (c) - Crotchm the poser puts his foot in his
mouth, big time
Dono
4/9/13
Read Re: Misner, Thorne and Wheeler, Exercise 8.5 (c)
Guest
4/9/13
Read Re: Misner, Thorne and Wheeler, Exercise 8.5 (c)
Dirk Van de moortel
4/9/13
Read Re: Misner, Thorne and Wheeler, Exercise 8.5 (c)
Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of Medway
4/8/13
Read Re: Misner, Thorne and Wheeler, Exercise 8.5 (c)
Rock Brentwood
4/8/13