Topic: Marathon Supporters Problem
Replies: 2   Last Post: Apr 10, 2013 11:40 AM

Steven Lord

Re: Marathon Supporters Problem

"Sibren " <sibren1@telenet.be> wrote in message
> Hi,
> For my thesis I have to solve the 'Marathon Supporters Problem':
>
> A supporter wants to see 'his runners' as many times as possible during
> the race. The race track is one big ellips, with many supporting points.
> The supporter can travel between these points with a deterministic speed.
> The speed of the runner is stochastic. The objective is the maximize the
> number of times a supporter can see the runner. At every point the runner
> is only visible during a specific time window (depending of the running
> speed).
>
> Has anyone an idea how I can solve this problem with Dynamic Programming?
> Which states do you suggest? And how to split this problem in subproblems?

I suggest that you work with your thesis advisor to determine an algorithm
and/or approach to solving this problem. If you then need help implementing
that algorithm or approach in MATLAB, ask this newsgroup for help on a
specific piece of that implementation work.

--
Steve Lord
slord@mathworks.com