Topic: disjunctive constraints in integer linear programming
Replies: 9   Last Post: Apr 14, 2013 2:43 AM

d.info.sign@gmail.com

Re: disjunctive constraints in integer linear programming

On Thursday, April 11, 2013 3:47:18 PM UTC-4, quasi wrote:
> d.info.sign wrote:
>

> >I have an integer linear programming problem as follows:
>

> >The constraints are either
>

> >x >= 0
>
> >y = u
>
> >z = x + v
>

> >or
>

> >x < 0
>
> >y = u - x
>
> >z = v
>

> >where y, z, u, v range over non-negative integers. There are
>
> >other unrelated constraints associated with u, v, y, z.
>

> >What's the most simple way to encode the disjunctive case?
>

> Why not just run two separate linear programs and choose
>
> whichever of the two optimal solutions offers a better value
>
> for the objective function?

Unfortunately we can't. This form of constraints occur often in our system. The approach you suggested would lead to exponential enumeration.

Thanks!